Thursday, May 18, 2017

Autopilot!

The Spring Defender sale somehow kicked me into purchasing some items that I've been wanting for years. The Admiral approved these 'safety' features and prices were 50+% off retail with a $200 rebate from Raymarine so that was all I needed.

My last install this year is the Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot Pack w/ P70 Control Head. Hmmm, I might have to switch from my Garmin chart plotter, GPS, sounder unit to a newer Raymarine a Series, c Series, e Series or gS Series MFD Pilot Control... next year.



I've never used an autopilot so this year will require some experimentation. I didn't want to drill any new holes in fiberglass right off, as the end game would be to ultimately control the autopilot from the pedestal. But I need to know more about how the P-70 control unit might be adversely affected by the compass magnets, and the displays resistance to weather. More importantly, I need to answer the question, do I stay with my tried and true Garmin 178C GPS chart plotter, or make the switch to one of the new Raymarine systems above. Hmmm, time will tell.

For this season, I installed the unit aft of the starboard cubby. Next season, perhaps a new pedestal, with a nav pod that can accommodate all the navigation equipment for a trip around Vancouver Island, and beyond.



The ACU-100 Control Unit and EV-1 Sensor Core are located just below the in the starboard lazarette.

No comments: