Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Solar Bimini!


This year I purchased 2-120 watt, 12v flexible monocrystaline solar panels that attach to my bimini, sewn by Liberty Bay Canvas in Poulsbo. These panels will provide up to 20Ahrs on good day. This system feeds my secondary battery bank (lights, propane, stereo, windless, and refrigeration (some day).

I will also be able to charge the house bank if needed. The Harbor Freight 500 watt charge controller is located in the starboard stern lazaret ensures the batteries don't overcharge. There's 'load' output which acts as a low voltage disconnect circuit that I may connect to some cockpit lights at some point.







The finishing touch was the connector panel which was added after the bimini is installed.



I have 14 gauge wiren running from the solar panels to the charge controller and 12 guage running to the batteries.



I've played with several other rigid solar panels over the years but always managed to break them. I riveted aluminum awning tracks to these new panels to so they can slide out in the winter months. The last few summers have been hot up in Seattle so this should really keep the sun down and the batteries up.

Iverson built my dodger, but I wanted to do something a little different with my bimini. I had scavanged some framework from King Canvas in Ballard, and altered my old dodger handrails to complete the design. Liberty Bay Canvas sewed the bimini and connectter panel.

No comments: