Sunday, June 2, 2019

2019 Haulout - Edmonds

3 days on the hard at Port of Edmonds

The goals for the haul out this year were to apply new bottom paint, inspect the steering, sea cocks and drive shaft.

My surveyor cousin Jeff Kutz came over to check out the Peregrine. He said there is about 1/16in play in the cutless bearing and 1/18in play in the rudder. Yes, these issues are concerns and in the next 2-3 haul outs I will replace both the cutless bearing and steering cables.

I first ground out the 'smile line' where I get some rust wearing between the hull/keel join. This is a section about 2" v 18" that I applied 4 layers of fiberglass. I then faired =Marine Tex over the deeper chipping and applied two coats of bottom paint (WM/Pettit CPP Ablative Antifouling Paint) applied new prop paint (Fisheries/LPS Cold Galvanize). I also touched up the bootstrap (Fisheries/Interlux Brightside), and cleaned the topsides (WM/Starbright Hull Cleaner with oxalic acid and ethylene glycol n-butyl ether) plus a little MEK. I was also able to buff the starboard topside (3M 05954 super duty rubbing compound) but ran out of time to work the port side which I can get to from the dock.

The zincs were fine, which is a surprise when I hear other tenants in Kingston having to replace theirs more frequently. My slip D-36, seems to be less prone to galvanic corrosion for some lucky reason. Apparently the further away you are from the gas dock the better. I added two more zincs for good measure.

Back in the water, I had the pleasure of launching in the middle of the Edmonds Family Day event Sailing over in 7-10 knots of wind I was not able to go faster than 5.1 knots. But on the return to Kingston run, I was able to run at 6.4knots under power and against a slowly flooding tide.

No comments: