Monday, February 11, 2019

Big snow in Kingston!

Our mild February finally gave way to Old Man Winter. A week after the Polar Vortex hit Chicago and the East Coast, those of us out here in Seattle accumulated the most February snow since 1916. It came come one storm cycle after another. We had a whopping 14in of snow between Feb 3-11. With 3.5 more inches Sunday and another 6.1 inches (and counting) on Monday, Sea-Tac airport recorded 20.2 inches of snow this month to set a new 100 year record.

I was afraid my new-ish dodger and bimini would get stretched out by the big snow. I was unable to get away from work for a week and finally sent a panic email to the marina. The Port of Kingston marina crews were busy but they always make the time to look out for our investments while we're away. I sent our awesome harbormaster Ray an email and he somehow found time to clear my dodger and bimini as he was making the rounds. Thanks, Ray!

Ray was a little concerned that my dingy on the bow was not shedding the snow very well. He was right. The next day we had a break in the weather and I finally got off our hill and caught the Edmonds/Kingston ferry. By the time I got there the waterline at the bow was an inch lower than normal and 6in had piled up.


Solar panels don't do well under snow! Lucky to have a harbormaster who we can call while we're away.

No comments: